Monday, January 28, 2013

Oh, good grief.

I know, it's a sick title for a blog about death and grieving but I come from a long line of sick humored people.  To be in fact, I lost one.  My aunt passed away 2 weeks ago yesterday...on my niece's birthday...who forgot to call my aunt on her birthday.  (I could go on with this but I don't think I will)  Anyway, during this time I was watching how differently people grieve.  There is the strong yet silent depression, running for religion, running for liquor, furious anger, drama queen and then me...clean and organize.  I have to attack everything.  Go through everything and eliminate anything that is not needed.  I don't know why I find cleaning therapeutic.  I guess it is my way of wearing the body down and getting over the shock.  Much in the same way excessive exercise or hitting something would.  I did the same thing when my father died.

When my dad died I had just moved out of the house.  My new roommate was sympathetic but didn't really know what to do with me.  So whenever I came blazing out of my room with the vacuum cleaner, she would put her feet up on the couch while continuing to read her book and I would vacuum away.  The one thing I have learned over the years is to try not to let your grieving drain on to others.  By that I mean, if your going to hysterically flip out, try to do it when you are alone.  When I get into my cleaning frenzy, I must not jump people scenes for making a mess.  Nerves are already raw when people lose a loved one.  They don't need anymore crap laid on their shoulders.  (this is actually a really good lesson to remember, unfortunately I usually forget) 

On a good note, funerals usually bring people together.  For me, it was my cousins which I rarely get to see.  My aunt seemed  to be the only reason we usually got together...for anything.  I guess over the years to come we will have to come up with other reasons to get together.  When I get back home and settled, maybe I will invite my cousins to a bbq.


2 comments:

  1. I do the cleaning thing too - even if I'm just kind of stressed, I always find that cleaning helps me clear mental clutter too.

    Love and comfort to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete